Avalanche Education at Bell Lake Yurt
There is no skill more important for backcountry skiers and riders than recognizing and assessing avalanche hazard, and using well-gathered information to make safe decisions. Let our team of friendly, experienced avalanche educators help you master the strategies to make the backcountry a rewarding place to play--for an entire lifetime of powder turns. All of our courses adhere to current American Avalanche Association (AAA) standards.
Recreational Level 2 Avy Course
For those who have already taken a Level 1 course and want to take the next step in their mountain education, Big Sky Backcountry Guides is offering a uniquely immersive yurt-based Recreational Level 2, January 18-21, 2018. With one day of classroom instruction, followed by three days and two nights at the yurt, it's the absolute best way to learn more advanced avalanche and travel skills!
The rec level 2 course is designed for backcountry skiers and riders who are comfortable with level 1 avalanche skills, and want to go deeper. We cover the science of snow metamorphism, and how recreationalists can apply this knowledge to the season snowpack history to understand the nature of existing avalanche problems. We also focus more deeply on decision-making frameworks and the strategies for dealing with the Human Factor, and travel in complex terrain.
This course will cover the following:
- Tracking the season snowpack history
- Characteristics of the different avalanche problems
- Weather history, avalanche problems, and stability assessment
- Formation of persistent weak layers – facets, depth hoar, surface hoar
- Wet snow metamorphism
- Avalanche terrain – large & small scale features
- Group management in challenging/complex terrain
- Stability tests – incorporating strength, structure and propagation potential
- Introduction to SWAG documentation
- Tour planning
- Human factor traps and solutions
Students must have previously taken a 24-hour Level 1 course, with at least one season between your first and second courses. Call 406-581-5754 to register.
Here's what people are saying:
- Courses and camps require full payment at time of booking.
- Courses are non refundable, unless your position in the class can be filled. An $80 administrative fee will be assessed to all refunds.
- Payments may be made via MasterCard or Visa--sorry, checks are no longer accepted. Rates do not include 3% CC processing fee or guide gratuity.