Avalanche Education at Bell Lake Yurt
There is no skill more important for backcountry skiers and riders than recognizing and assessing avalanche hazard, and using well-gathered information to make safe decisions. Let our team of friendly, experienced avalanche educators help you master the strategies to make the backcountry a rewarding place to play--for an entire lifetime of powder turns. All BSBG courses adhere to current American Avalanche Association (AAA) standards.
Level 1 Avalanche
Get a Level 1 avalanche course and a fully guided, catered yurt trip with Big Sky Backcountry Guides! Bell Lake Yurt's immersive, high-country environment takes avalanche education where it belongs: into the backcountry. Spend three days and two nights learning in the mountains--not a classroom.
3 Days/ 2 Nights
$600/person all inclusive
- Price includes professional instruction, three days and two nights at beautiful Bell Lake Yurt, delicious meals, a certificate of completion, and plenty of turns! Compare at $425+ for town-based courses, and Bell Lake Yurt provides amazing value.
- With a maximum class size of eight (vs. up to 24 in other courses), and a maximum instructor ratio of 4:1 (vs. up to 7:1 in other courses) students receive personalized attention and the best quality experience possible.
- Guests will need touring bindings and skins or a splitboard (no snowshoes, please), and an avalanche transciever, shovel, and probe. Gear rentals are available at local shops and through Big Sky Backcountry Guides. Please call 406-581-5754.
This course focuses on the following:
- Basic avalanche terminology
- Recognizing avalanche terrain
- Travel procedures in avalanche terrain
- Formation of the mountain snowpack
- How weather affects snowpack
- Human factors and how they influence decision-making
- Interpreting the avalanche forecast bulletin
- Tour planning
- Avalanche transceiver use and rescue skills
- Field observations of terrain, snowpack, and weather
- Basic use and interpretation of stability tests
- Next steps
NOTE: Bell Lake Yurt Level 1 avalanche courses take place in the backcountry. The approach to our yurt is 2.6 miles and 1,600 feet, which usually takes around three hours of skinning with a daypack and sleeping bag. Please be physically prepared.
2018-19 Course Schedule:
2018-19 Registration is Open!
(Click Dates Below to Register)
1.) Dec. 7-9, 2018 (7 Spots Left!)
2.) Dec. 14-16, 2018 (6 Spots Left!)
3.) Dec. 28-30, 2018 (8 Spots Left!)
4.) Jan. 4-6, 2019 (8 Spots Left!)
5.) Jan. 11-13, 2019 (8 Spots Left!)
6.) Jan. 18-20, 2019 (8 Spots Left!)
Please read important payment details at bottom of page.
Custom course dates available for groups of four or more!
Here's what people are saying:
- Courses and camps require full payment at time of booking.
- Courses are non refundable, unless your position in the class can be filled. An $80 administrative fee will be assessed to all refunds.
- Payments may be made via MasterCard or Visa--sorry, checks are no longer accepted. Rates do not include 3% CC processing fee or guide gratuity.