Avalanche Education at Bell Lake Yurt
There is no skill more important for backcountry skiers and riders than recognizing and assessing avalanche hazard, and using well-gathered information to make safe decisions. Let our team of friendly, experienced avalanche educators help you master the strategies to make the backcountry a rewarding place to play--for an entire lifetime of powder turns. All of our courses adhere to current American Avalanche Association (AAA) standards.
1.) Level 1 Avalanche
2.) Rescue Fundamentals--New for 2017-18!
3.) Level 2 Avalanche
Level 1 Avalanche
Get a Level 1 avalanche course and a fully guided, catered yurt trip! Bell Lake Yurt's immersive, high-country environment takes avalanche education where it belongs: into the backcountry. Spend three days and two nights learning in the mountains--not a classroom.
3 Days/ 2 Nights
$575/person all inclusive
- Price includes professional instruction, three days and two nights at beautiful Bell Lake Yurt, all meals, a certificate of completion, and plenty of turns! Compare at $400+ for town-based courses, and Bell Lake Yurt provides amazing value.
- With a maximum class size of eight (vs. up to 24 in other courses), and a maximum instructor ratio of 4:1 (vs. up to 7:1 in other courses) students receive personalized attention and the best quality experience possible.
- Guests will need touring bindings and skins or a splitboard (no snowshoes, please), and an avalanche transciever, shovel, and probe. Gear rentals are available at very reasonable prices at local shops and through Montana Alpine Adventures. Please call 406-581-5754 for details.
NOTE: Bell Lake Yurt Level 1 avalanche courses take place in the backcountry. The approach to our yurt is 2.6 miles and 1,600 feet, which usually takes around three hours of skinning with a daypack and sleeping bag. Please be physically prepared.
2017-18 Course Schedule:
(Click Dates Below to Register)
1.) Dec. 8-10, 2017 (8 Spaces)
2.) Dec. 15-17, 2017 (8 Spaces)
3.) Dec. 29-31, 2017 (6 Spaces)
4.) Jan. 5-7, 2018 (8 Spaces)
5.) Jan. 12-15, 2018 (8 Spaces)
Please read important payment details at bottom of page.
Custom course dates available for groups of four or more!
Rescue Fundamentals Course
1 Day Field Session
2017-18 Course Schedule
Level 2 Avy Courses
For those who have already taken a Level 1 course and want to take the next step in their mountain education, Montana Alpine Adventures is offering a uniquely immersive yurt-based Level 2, January 18-21, 2018. With one day of classroom instruction, followed by three days and two nights at the yurt, it's the absolute best way to learn more advanced avalanche and travel skills!
Students must have previously taken a 24-hour Level 1 course, with at least one season between your first and second courses. Call 406-581-5754 to register.
Here's what people are saying:
Important Payment and Booking Info
- Courses and camps require full payment at time of booking.
- Courses are non refundable, unless your position in the class can be filled. An $80 administrative fee will be assessed to all refunds.
- Payments may be made via MasterCard or Visa--sorry, checks are no longer accepted. Rates do not include 3% CC processing fee or guide gratuity.